Photography is a very creative subject although and needs a lot of technical as well as creative sense. There are many different parts of photography which makes photography beautiful. Though we are not discussing about the technical parts of photography but here our main subject is black and white photography. Actually it deals two colors and it’s shades but its quiet tough to deal with these two colors. Nowadays in this digital era it is not much tough to convert a color photo into a black and white one but in olden days the only option was black and white. This era photographers have a lot of advantages which makes them take a fabulous black and white photography.
Coming to the technical parts, actually the basic point of a black and white photography is to understand what your exact color photo will look in black and white form which you are seeing through the viewfinder of your camera. Actually you have to look on the textures, tones and frame rather than thinking a lot about colors. In black and white photography the role of background is very important. And the next you should think about all the other things that will add depth on the images. But nowadays many photographers take a color photograph and transform it into black and white through the use of software like Photoshop. Lot of plug-in is available which helps you in this conversion process.
Now there are some techniques which if followed results in a great black and white photography. We are trying to give some of the important tips for beginner photographers.
- Try to shoot in raw format as most of the photographers use .jpeg format to take their images. There are two causes behind this practice. The first one is that some cameras doesn’t support raw format and some photographers doesn’t like to use raw format. Actually jpeg format will never stop you from taking black and white photographs but the main advantage of raw format above jpeg is its post production facility. Raw format allows you to work with a lot more features at post production level.
- Never try to use black and white effects from your camera. Actually it will narrow your scope of experimenting with the image. Take a color photograph, but while taking you should keep in mind about its black and white output. Now transfer the file from camera to your computer. Then work with that color photo to make it a black and white one.
- Always try to take a photograph in lowest possible ISO. Actually the more your ISO level the possibilities of external noise in the photograph will also increase. And it is very hard to remove original noise in post production. Instead if you want to add noise intentionally then you can add it in post production period.
- Remember dark and overcast day is the best for taking black and white shots. Try to avoid aver lighting areas. Wait for a dark day and step out with your camera to take some outstanding shots.
- This one I have told earlier that instead looking a lot on colors try to give all your focus on amazing shapes, tones and textures. Give a particular attention to shadows and highlights which is a very important part of your black and white photograph.
So for some amazing examples we have collected some beautiful black and white photographs which you can take as your inspiration. Keep all the above things in mind and plan for an outing to take some fantastic snaps. And it is to tell you that the main thing of a beautiful photography lays in your creative thinking which is much more high that all other technical issues.